Vacation for the Indie Author

Ah yes, vacation. A time to get away from it all and to bask in the sunlight by the beach with a strawberry daiquiri, the cool breeze blowing off the lagoon through the palm trees just enough to make your hammock move gently back and forth in a lazy, hypnotic sway. Not a care in the world.

Yeah, right, maybe for normal people but not for the Indie author.

In two days I will be heading back to Alabama for a full week, and while I do hope to visit a few of my old familiar places and see a lot of old friends, it will mostly be a working vacation.

Monday: Meeting with the librarian at my old high school. She has asked for copies of my books and even mentioned building a display of me and my work for the library. How cool is that?

Tuesday: Off to visit stores in Huntsville, 70 miles from my mom’s home, Chattanooga, 60 miles from my mom’s home, and Gadsden, 45 miles from my mom’s home, to introduce myself and my books. I am already in a few bookstores in these cities, but would love to have more.

Wednesday: Meeting with the Managing Editor of local newspaper. They have already run a story on my upcoming book signing, but this will be a more personable interview.

Thursday: Interview at smaller radio station in town. I love these radio interviews. I have gotten to where I hardly ever say “uh” anymore.

Friday: Interview with large radio station in town. More fun.

Saturday: Book signing. I love this little bookstore in my hometown. In two previous book signings, I have sold 137 copies of my books, and they have sold half that many again in between signings. I have the greatest fans in the world.

Saturday Night: Comedy show. I will be headlining a comedy show featuring three other comics while my wife… you guessed it, will be peddling my books.

That’s a vacation for an Indie author. And if possible, I will try to squeeze in one strawberry daiquiri. Don’t tell the guys at the gym.

Posted by on July 28, 2012. Filed under Books,Neal Wooten,This Indie Life. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Responses are currently closed, but you can trackback from your own site.

11 Responses to Vacation for the Indie Author

July 28, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Have two or three drinks … and break a leg, or a pen, or whatever is an appropriate wish for a book signing. In reality, don’t forget which book you are signing for, and always ask the spelling of someone’s name before you write it in ink in their copy. Scribbling in someone else’s book is not considered charming. :)

Corey Colombin
    Author of Confessions of a Coffee Slinger
    Author & Illustrator of Eli Ate a Fly, and Poor Me.

2. Jodi Fiore 'Lia-Ria Adventures'

July 28, 2012 at 6:50 pm

Don’t work too hard on your ‘vacation’ Neal! I am recalling your words of wisdom in a previous article about the importance of seLf-promotion and I guess you are striking while the iron is hot! How exciting to go back to your roots, the place that has given you your wings-enjoy Neal!

3. Irma Jacobs Tirro Author of The Lonely Snowflake and It's Almost Friday

July 29, 2012 at 4:30 am

Sounds like a great vacation for book promotion/sales. When do you and your wife get to take one?

July 29, 2012 at 8:46 am

Now that’s an itinerary! It already sounds successful. I recently returned from a wonderful family vacation in NYC. I did take the opportunity to pay a visit to a literary agency. To my pleasant surprise I was offered the time of day and a seat in the office leather chair. As I eagerly listened to advice from someone with expertise in the publishing industry, my eyes scanned over the familiar titles framed on the wall straight ahead. Upon my return home, the kind rejection letter in my mailbox paled in comparison to the invaluable advice I had received. This encounter will undoubtedly benefit all of my future endeavors.

July 29, 2012 at 9:55 am

As I read the first paragraph of your article I couldn’t help thinking how beautifully descriptive it was. Honestly, it was the closest I’ve been to a vacation experience in 30 years. (except for when I watched “Cast Away”). When I got to the next paragraph and you hit me with the “Yeah right” you had me laughing out loud. You are extremely witty and entertaining Neal. Thank you for your articles, they inspire, entertain, and advise us Indies on the importance of preserverence. (did I spell that right?) Anyways, I need to take your advice or my next vacation will be at the kiddy pool again, sipping flat rootbeer out of a foam cup. Thanks for the pep-talk, the advice, and all the laughs.
    Sincerely… A “Reternity” Fan
    Rebecca Fronzaglio
    author/illustator
    Mommy and Me Let Insects Free
    The Un-invited Mouse

July 29, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Do try to take a little time off and enjoy family and friends. Books and success are important, to be sure, but relationships are, in my opinion, even more important. Don’t neglect family for your book. Your book will always be around but family and friends not always. Best of luck on promoting your book and have fun at your signing. Those always make us feel good, don’t they. It is often a great time of seeing friends!

7. Connie

July 29, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Great article, Neal! Wow, at first I was so envious of your vacation and then as I read on . . . well, I’m still envious – you’re a superstar! Hope you have a wonderful time, that you sell and sign lots of books, and that you get lots of laughs at the Comedy Club. All the best to you and your loved ones!!! Connie

8. Bolivar Lopez

July 29, 2012 at 5:05 pm

Sounds like some great publicity. Way to go. To have your home town wait for you is really good. I’m sure this came with a lot of hard work. Getting your home town to know you did not come easy. When you first start off it is hard enough to get them to remember you. Hope it goes well.

July 29, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Loved Neal’s introduction and thought, “Neal’s relaxing in a hammock without a book? Is this the Neal I’ve come to know?” But then I read on and can believe that through his dedication and love for people he will sell a lot of books AND spread a lot of hope AND have a great vacation AND find a strawberry daiquiri too!

10. Gina Maria Sanfilippo

July 30, 2012 at 8:20 am

I hope you get a chance to relax a little while you are there. But if you don’t I hope you sell a lot of books and make some new book buying friends. Enjoy your time away. Gina

11. Loved your first paragraph. I could picture it so clear. I was enveying you and wishing I was there. But then in true Neal style, you dropped me back into reality.

Looks like you did some excellent planning. Those people are in some fantastic funny memories.

Enjoy your trip!